So your thinking about majoring in psychology?
I did. And I loved it.
Of course I learned a bunch of things through my psychology courses:
- I learned that psychology is interesting.
- I learned that in order to actually practice in the filed of psychology, AT MINIMUM a Master's degree is required.
- I learned that I was not willing to devote another 2-4 years to my education, in order to continue on in the field of psychology.
- I learned that with an associates degree or bachelors degree, your career prospects open up, regardless of what you majored in.
- I learned that with psychology there are no "right" or "wrong" answers like there are with math or other similar fields. With psychology it's all about perspective and explanations.
- I learned that just having a crazy family helped me understand and comprehend psychology as a science better.
1/2 of my crazy family.
- I learned that I love science.
- I learned that both nature and nurture play an equal part in who we become as adults.
- I learned that I am an introvert 95% of the time the other 5% of the time I am an ambivert.
- I learned what constitutes a reliable source and APA formatting.
- I learned that every behavior has an underlying explanation.
- I learned empathy.
- I learned ethics.
- I learned that when it comes to cultural diversity - I suck.
- I learned to step back, analyze, and think before judging, acting on, or speaking in situations.
- I learned that stereotyping is far from acceptable.
- I learned that everyone has a story to tell.
- I learned that we are all a "little bit crazy" by definition.
My silly kids.
- I learned that stigma exists everywhere.
- I learned what stigma means.
- My vocabulary, perspective, and mind has opened up 150%.
- I learned that private (online) school was not the right financial choice for me ($$$$$). Community college would have been a much better choice financially ($$), but my lifestyle would not have allowed it.
- I learned my personality type
- I learned how to be a better parent.
- Most of all I learned that I love to learn.
I'm a writer at heart. Had I never majored in psychology I may have never known that about myself. Courses in psychology require a TON of writing - everything you do will be focused around writing, explaining your perspective and/or understanding, and experimenting. Little did I know when I signed up for a major in psychology that I would find my true passion through it - I've come to realize that college is made specifically to figure out who you are and what you want to do with your life.
Looking back, I probably should have minored in something else, like social services, to give my degree more weight after graduation. Instead I'm pigeon-holed with the flexibility my psychology degree grants me.
Can you handle all of the above? Can you devote a ton of school time to writing and sharing your perspectives? Can you formulate your thoughts and make a strong case? Can you be a student for 2,4,6,8 years after high school?
If so psychology may be the right major for you.
Check out Careers in Psychology to see all the possibilities. Good Luck!